Monday, November 12, 2007

Dad Says: Talk Ter Me

In Honor of Veterans Day I am giving my dad the guest blog spot (though he doesn't know it yet, I took one of my favorites from his book "Talk Ter Me" )

Two Thousandths of a Second too Fast

We put the race car on the trailer on sunny day in 1980 and drove to the finals in Bakersfield, CA. Of all the cars at NHRA's Bonneville Race Track, I had qualified sixth in our car.

We were running brackets which meant that you got to dial in what you thought you would run. Your opponent does the same. If you dialed in a second slower than your opponent, you get to leave from the light one second early. The person who gets to the finish line first is the winner, unless you have gone too fast.

Tami was eleven and like the normal eleven year old she knew quite a bit. Tami knew just what I should dial in and told me. I didn't listen.

As it turned out, I lost, by two thousandths of a second. I had gone too fast. Tami had been right.
I has to put the car on the trailer after just one race. Tami was crying.

And thus we learn that there are times we should listen to our children

HAPPY VETERANS DAY TO MY FAVORITE VET (AND COOLEST DAD)!!

9 comments:

Ruth Anne said...

And thus we learn how great stories are!

Ruth Anne said...

Love ya, DAD!

Ann said...

What a great story, and a great way to honor your Dad! Happy Veteran's Day, Jane & Ruth's Dad!

Kim Thomas said...

Three cheers for the Young dad... Awesome story!

Queen B said...

great story and tough lesson learned ;)

Happy Veterans' Day!

Queen B said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I love you dad! I am very grateful for your service in the military.

I am also grateful for your kind heart that always encourages me to do my best.

Alice

Anonymous said...

How lucky I am to be married to such a great guy. Those Navy days weren't easy but we made it and look and all the great experiences we have had. Let us hope that there will always be guys like you ready to defend our liberty and feedom. Thanks - I love you! Rae

Teri said...

Happy Veterans DAy!