Wednesday, February 13, 2008

VIRUS ALERT: Valentine's Day Virus

I love Valentine's Day. Even if it is a bit commercialized. I had great plans of doing a I love you post (goo goo goo). However this email came out from corporate today. Much more becoming for the blog and my way of I saying I love all of you.
_____________________________________________
Holidays and special calendar events are often targeted by viruses. It is a good rule of thumb to be aware during these times.

As a case in point, the FBI is reporting that a Valentine’s Day email containing a ‘bot’ will be distributed on Thursday, February 14th. We request that you do the following:

1.) Be extremely careful with ‘email’ Valentine’s Day messages. Don’t open anything that is from somebody you don’t recognize, but understand that even if you do recognize them, there is no guarantee that what they sent to you won’t be something malicious.

2.) If there is a link in the email, check the link by right-clicking the properties. If the link is not something very well known (like Blue Mountain Cards) it is best not to left-click the link.

For more information on the Valentine’s Day virus please visit http://www.fbi.gov/cyberinvest/escams.htm.

Thank you (I think he should say I love you),
Jim Motes

6 comments:

Kim Thomas said...

Thanks for the notice. ILY!

Anonymous said...

Happy v day!
Computer Virus day!

Queen B said...

I'm definitely not going to click that link for fear of downloading the Valentine's Day virus.

Maybe they should've included warnings on "other" kinds of viruses that are common on V-day too ;)

Paula said...

Not sure if you all now this, but twice I've found comments on my blog that strangers posted that said, "See here" and the word here is a link. The first one was a link to a stupid picture, but the second one, when I clicked it, my computer was flooded with spyware and viruses... fortunately, my DH is a Hot IT Dude, and has anti-everything on my computer. So nothing got in...but DO NOT click on these posts. I do not know who they are.

Anonymous said...

I'm having a hard time dealing with humanity today. What is the deal! Can't people just behave? Oh dear, Mom

Anonymous said...

I'm having a hard time dealing with humanity today. What is the deal! Can't people just behave? Oh dear, Mom