Saturday, August 15, 2009

Earwigs

I hate earwigs. They crawl into your ear and eat your brain. I know this because my mom told me, as did every other parent growing up.

Who knew that they dont really crawl into your head and provide an uncertain death?
.
“Earwigs are so named because they crawl into people’s ears while they’re sleeping and bore into their brains.”
August 21, 2007, 2:01 am Filed under: Fun Facts
,
False. While there’s some dispute over the origin of the name “earwig,” there’s no dispute whatsoever among entomologists as to the insect’s fabled fondness for the human ear — it’s balderdash. (Earwigs aren’t particularly keen on devouring your brain, either.)
According to the Colorado State Cooperative Extension, “other than an occasional pinch, earwigs can’t harm people.”
.
I havent seen one since i moved to Arizona. So of course the one that Amy saves me from is bigger than the planet. And only if it will only pinch me and not bore into my brain we stayed a very safe distance.

8 comments:

Amy said...

That was the biggest, damn earwig I ever saw and I am not sorry I flushed it whether it wanted to eat my brain or pinch me!

Kim Thomas said...

I have never seen or heard of these things but I cannot say that I am sorry. Thank God for Amy saving you from certain death!

Alice said...

I wasn't told ear wigs would kill you but I was told they would make you deaf. Still scared no matter what the description states.

Anonymous said...

I don't care what any of you think you heard - I still don't want one in my ear! And I do occasionally still get one in my bathroom. Yuck! Mom

Diane said...

I have never heard of these either. Disgusting!

Jenn Ann said...

Insects, no matter what they do or don't do have the potential for causing me bodily harm, because I will hurt myself trying to escape them.

Queen B said...

hate bugs!

EW

Ruth Anne said...

Always creeped me out.