Thursday, November 26, 2009

Highs and lows of Thanksgiving travel

Going up 38.4 million Americans will travel 50 or more miles from home over the Thanksgiving holiday, a 1.4 percent increase over last year, according to AAA. (that's me :))

33.2 million will travel by auto, a 2.1 percent increase. (that's me :))

2.9 million will travel by other means, including trains, watercraft and buses, a 1.2 percent increase. (not me)

Heading down 2.3 million will travel by air, a 6.7 percent decline. Only 6 percent of travelers will fly. (not me :))

Why? The decrease reflects a decadelong trend. Since 2000, the number of Americans traveling by air for the Thanksgiving holiday has dropped 62 percent, according to AAA. (not me - thank goodness!)

http://www.kansascity.com/105/story/1592580.html

7 comments:

Queen B said...

Wow, Miss Franny-Fact-Finder :)

I'm with you... driving - not flying - more than 50 miles today.

KFuj said...

I'm with you and the Queen... driving not flying more than 50 miles.

Diane said...

Happy Thanksgiving! I will be traveling about 50 miles one way but still in town. Safe travels home:)

Amy said...

I am traveling 59.5 miles round trip by car. Happy Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

I didn't leave the house and couldn't been happier. It was a totally awesome day. I am so grateful for my wonderful family and can't wait for Christmas so we can all be together. I am exhausted and happy. Happy Thanksgiving to all! Mom

Kim Thomas said...

I drove 1.6 miles

Ruth Anne said...

note taken