Monday, December 10, 2007

Christmas Tree Skirts (My Third Christmas Post)

The Christmas Tree Skirt deserves some recognition. What a great way to express personality or tie a room decor into that of the Holiday Tree.

Today while decorating the tree Jessica asked me why the tree neeeded a skirt. Good question honey. After a wikipedia search and no answers I was a little dismayed. After a search of all of the other "credible" sites that provide pearls of wisdom I was about to make something up and start my own story to pass down. I finally found http://www.christmaslore.com/the_origin_of_the_christmas_tree_skirt.html, interestingly enough Laura Legend is the one to describe that the skirt was originally made to catch the wax of the candles on the tree.

Two thoughts:
1. Who knew?
2. Bet they did use silk and velour back then!

7 comments:

Teri said...

Jane you should have emailed me. I know all the christmas stuff.

Jessica looks precisous wearing it

Ann said...

1. Love the pic.
2. Great information!
3. Just bought a new tree skirt this year. Red velvet with sequined Christmas trees on it.

Queen B said...

wow, I learned something new today! Thanks Jane and Laura.

Anonymous said...

I think that should actually be a real skirt.

Alice

Britney Smith said...

Mom, Jessica is the funniest little kid and who knew!!!!! Love this and everyone should have been their!!!!!!!!!!

Kim Thomas said...

Could you please add a feature to your side bar called the "Laura Legend"?

Anonymous said...

I think that tree skirts were invented just because they make the bottom of the tree look a lot better. But it does look adorable on Jessica. G'ma